ADVERTISEMENT

Lingering Sunday thoughts: pre-season edition

mciaffoni

BeaversEdge Super Blue-Chip
Jan 7, 2007
- As one who did not count this game as existing, I am fired up for the season opener next weekend. Since we did scrimmage a team on Saturday, here are some thoughts:

- While the 31 points are impressive, one cannot count on big plays all year long. Take them, sure. But you cant stake your claim to 70 yard runs. I thought the O did a good job at times in the first half making some plays, but like last year, did get bogged down (sacks, fumbles)

- One stat can sometimes tell the difference in the game. Saturday, it was 3rd down conversions. At one point when the score was 56-31, OSU was 5-14 on third down. tOSU was 12-13. It shows a few things. One, we did a good job of getting them to third down, which is great, but obviously never got off the field. This also shows that many of those third downs were likely short yardage situations.

- I know this has been joked about already, but is there anyway that Gebbia can blame the environment in Lincoln and be cleared to play right away? You cant say much about Luton, Blount looked okay, but Colletto (granted a first game) looked lost. It is clear that Gebbia is likely the future of the program. IT would be nice to just start building.

- Here is to growth for the d. 2007 started off uncermoniously at Cincy and that team was able to round into a pretty good d by the end of the year.

- Would you rather have swapped the S Utah game? I think it is better to learn from this and then play SUU, than to get false confidence from a win and then get clobbered by tOSU.

- If you take out Pierce's two long runs, he had 9 carries for 10 yards. Just sayin...
- This team will be able to run the ball, but the down-field passing game has to be a threat this season. Certainly there was not really time to throw it down the field, but if the offense is to really spark, they'll need to.

- I wish I had really profound things to say. We just don't have difference makers, especially on D. Or, the ones we have played their first game yesterday. I'm not sure OSU's best players of all time on D would have held tOSU under 30 points on their home field.

- While it is up to OSU to stop their opponent, it was pretty classless for tOSU to go for it on 4th down, while up 39 with 4 minutes left.

- Beavs need to look at bringing in 3-4 JUCO DT this recruiting cycle. Right now, the d-line only has Kalani to anchor the middle. Recruiting in that spot has not been good over the years, in both late MR and the GA era. Too many misses (Pilli comes to mind).

- There is a game next weekend. I am hoping OSU does not give up the most points in school history as we have done the last two games.

- Thanks Bob DeCarolis for signing Craig Robinson to an asinine extension years ago. This game paid for his buyout and we are now free of both of those guys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News