Brenden Slaughter

BeaversEdge Heisman
Staff
Aug 27, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
Hey Hey Edgers!

Hope you're doing well!

Just wrapped up fall camp day one with the crew @ryan_harlan7 & @tjmathewson

Pretty light day overall, but some solid 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 work that we'll have covered in the nuggets coming up in a little bit!

Trent Bray Meets The Media

BeaversEdge Breaks Down Fall Camp Day 1

Practice Video

NUGGET BREAKDOWN via @tjmathewson, @ryan_harlan7, and I - Great work today from the guys!

Offense via @ryan_harlan7

One of the things I was looking for headed into fall camp was how would the quarterback battle between Ben Gulbranson, Gevani McCoy, and Gabarri Johnson play out. I thought out of the trio that Gulbranson had the best day of all the quarterbacks compared to both McCoy and Johnson.

Gulbranson looked sharp in the pocket getting the ball out to his playmakers in both 7-on-7’s and in team periods portion of practice. One of the highlights in 7 on 7’s was when he connected with wide receiver Trent Walker, where Walker made an over-the-shoulder catch to secure the ball in tight coverage.

Speaking of Walker, he definitely looks to be a top option right now in the wide receiver room as he carried over his strong showing in spring ball to fall camp. I really think he can be a big factor in the passing game this season even with Darrius Clemons starting to practice.

Speaking of Clemons, after not getting to see him in spring, it was good to see him out there today. Just looking at him physically compared to the room, he’s a bit bigger and has an athletic frame that moves really well. There wasn’t a standout play per say, but the narrative has been that he can slide right into that No. 1 spot and physically you can see why.

Wide receiver Tastean Reddicks had a highlight catch in the team period portion of practice as he went up and over defensive back Exodus Ayers to secure a ball thrown by Gulbranson. It was the second of several downfield throws that Gulbranson placed in just the right spot. It’s just one practice, but his downfield accuracy seems to have improved.

Walk-on receiver Jhae Drummer had an acrobatic catch on a pass throw in his direction from true freshman quarterback Kallen Gutridge during the team period of practice. Gutridge has a lot of catching up on the playbook but I like what I saw from him in the snaps that he got during the team period portion of practice.

Also worth mentioning, Gutridge being a lefty QB definitely stands out amongst the group… The Beavers’ first lefty since Sean Canfield if memory serves?

While it’s too early to name a starting quarterback after the first day of practice, I wouldn’t be surprised if Gulbranson beats out McCoy and Johnson for that starting spot. The offense that offensive coordinator Ryan Gunderson is running is focused more on getting the ball out of the quarterback’s hands rather than holding onto the ball too long in the pocket.

Where Ben succeeds is getting the ball out quickly to his playmakers in space rather than holding on to the ball too long in the pocket. I felt that when the offense struggled last year it was a bit in part due to the long-developing passing plays in the pro-style offense. Gulbranson also has the starting experience compared to both Johnson and McCoy, which showed as both struggled at times throughout practice.

McCoy struggled with accuracy issues like he did in spring practices while Johnson similarly struggled with getting the ball to his receivers with the third-team offense.

I need to see more from McCoy and also Johnson throughout the course of fall camp to see how much they can improve to push Gulbranson for that starting spot. Not to say they can’t win the job but it’s Ben’s job to lose at the moment.

Defense via @tjmathewson

The defense always has a tough job at the beginning of camp, unable to really hit anyone, but there was still a few observations we can take away from what we saw on day one.

We didn’t get a good look at the group until the last 15 minutes or so of practice. I’ll say the first thing that stood out from the bodies we saw from about 100 feet away is they matched the size of the Beaver’ OL. Now, the results were a mixed bag, I thought the OL did a good job of run blocking, but the DL got the better of them in passing situations.

The quarterbacks had a hard time seeing over the size of the OL, so they were quick to bail the pocket when the pressure/opportunity presented itself. We saw some nice rushes from Tygee Hill on the interior and he’s a guy to keep an eye on as camp continues. Outside of Nick Norris, he’s the most experienced DL transfer having played in several games for LSU and has the size and athleticism to be an effective rusher.

Outside ‘Backers Nikko Taylor and Olu Omotosho were quick to get off their blocks to chase down the quarterback. There were only a couple of times when the quarterbacks were able to put their foot in the ground and get upfield. Semisi Saluni showed some speed chasing Gulbranson on a rollout and forcing an incompletion at his feet.

It was a quiet day for the defensive backs, Jaydin Young had the lone notable play on the back end, staying with his WR on a bad snap, and deflecting the Gabarri Johnson pass away. You have to feel pretty confident in this group with all the experience returning in Jaden Robinson, Skyler Thomas and Jack Kane. It also seems like Tyrice Ivy has moved from corner to safety, he was in that spot with the second-team defense.

Defensive backs coach Rod Chance might earn the nod of the most enthusiastic/vocal of the coaches on the field. He was super energetic and really seems to do a good job at hyping up the guys in the back end. Chance was a sneaky-solid hire late in the process for the Beavs and I think he’ll do great work with the Beaver defensive backs.

Rotations (team period)

First Team Offense
QB - Gevani McCoy
RB - Anthony Hankerson/Jam Griffin
WR - Trent Walker
WR - David Wells
WR - Jeremiah Noga
TE - Jermaine Terry
LT - Gerad Christian-Lichtenhan
LG - Joshua Gray
C - Van Wells
RG - Flavio Gonzalez
RT - Grant Starck

First Team Defense
DL - Semisi Saluni
DL - Thomas Collins
OLB - Olu Omotosho
ILB - Isaiah Chisholm
ILB - Melvin Jordan
OLB - Nikko Taylor
DB - Jaden Robinson
DB - Skyler Thomas
DB - Jack Kane
DB - Andre Jordan
DB - Tyrice Ivy

Second-Team Offense
QB - Ben Gulbranson/Gabarri Johnson
RB - Jake Reichle/Cornell Hatcher/Salahadin Allah
WR - Jailen Holmes
WR - Tastean Reddicks
WR - Darrius Clemons
TE - Bryce Caufield
LT - Tyler Voltin
LG - Jacob Anderson
C - Zander Esty
RG - Ben Hartman
RT - Nathan Elu

Second-Team Defense
DL - Josh Griffis
DL - Tygee Hill
OLB - DJ Wesolak
ILB - Gyriece Goodman
ILB - Aiden Sullivan
OLB - Zakiah Saez
DB - Exodus Ayers
DB - Amarion York
DB - Tyrice Ivy
DB - Mason White
DB - Sai Vadrawale

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.