ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Report Big plays highlight OSU’s second scrimmage

Brenden Slaughter

BeaversEdge Heisman
Staff
Aug 27, 2016
Sherwood, Oregon
With spring practice entering the final stanza, the Oregon State football team held their final scrimmage of the spring football season before OSU wraps up spring with the spring game next Saturday. Beavers Edge has in-depth coverage of the scrimmage today.

Click here to watch the video interviews from after Saturday's scirmmage

First team offense:

QB- Jake Luton

RB- Ryan Nall: Didn’t do more than 2-3 series.

WR: Isaiah Hodgins, Xavier Hawkins, Jordan Villamin

TE: Noah Togiai

OL: From left to right: Blake Brandel, Fred Lauina, Sumner Houston, Gus Lavaka, Trent Moore

Here were the guys who frequently subbed in with the first unit:

Kammy Delp- OL

Andre Bodden-WR

Artavis Pierce-RB

Quinn Smith- TE

Based on my observations, the Beavers are pretty set in stone with their offensive line. Brandel, Lauina, Houston, Lavaka, and Moore have been the guys that have solidified their place so far.

It wasn’t a surprise that Luton was the first quarterback today. Luton played very well, despite throwing two interceptions that really weren’t his fault. At this point, it’s Luton’s job to lose in my opinion as he was by far and away the best quarterback on the field today.

First team defense:

Note: Defense was a little tougher to get a read on given that they subbed in and out so frequently, but this is what the first team defense looked like as best I could tell.

DL: Elu Aydon, Kalani Vakameilalo

LB: Jonathan Willis, Doug Taumoelau, Manase Hungalu, Hamilcar Rashed

CB: Shawn Wilson, Xavier Crawford, Christian Wallace

Safeties: Jalen Moore, Omar Hicks-Onu

Rotated with the 1’s

Paisa Savea-DL

Baker Pritchard- DL

Phillip Napoleon- DL

Kee Whetzel- LB

Reed Woodward- LB

Andrzej Hughes Murray- LB

Hamilton Hunt- LB

Adam Soesman- LB

Kiahvé Dennis-Lee- LB

Jaydon Grant-CB

The main takeaway is that OSU subbed linebackers out very often, with several young guys getting extended reps. Veteran players like Manase Hungalu, and Brandon Arnold were limited or didn’t take reps at all. The linebacking corps were very impressive today, flying all over the field, making several really nice plays that really kept all the quarterbacks off guard.

Special Teams:

No big surprises here...

Ian Christ- Holder

Connor Kelsey- LS

Nick Porebski-Punter:

Jordan Choukair- Kicker: Choukair struggled mightily today. He went 1-4 on field goals, starting 0-3. Earlier in spring he was almost automatic up to 50 yards, but struggled today to find any sort of consistency.

Kick/Punt returners: Artavis Pierce, Trevon Bradford, Jaylynn Bailey: Pierce was the best returner today, but Andersen added that he wasn’t sure he was going to stay there. From a health and a depth perspective, OSU can’t really afford to have a guy like AP get hurt returning kickoffs.

Top performers:

(Offense)

Jake Luton: Not surprising right? As I mentioned earlier, Luton was easily the best quarterback tossing the pigskin today. He looked poised early and often, throwing two deep touchdown passes on post routes to Andre Bodden (45 yards) and Isaiah Hodgins (48 yards). After practice, Gary Andersen wouldn’t speak on whether or not there is a pecking order at QB and if there is a timetable to announcing a starter, but in my opinion today, it’s absolutely Luton’s job to lose. No doubt.

Artavis Pierce: Pierce looked like a man on a mission early and often in the scrimmage today, starting off the scoring by ripping off a 70 touchdown run. Pierce looked like Ryan Nall in the 2015 Civil War, running away from cornerbacks and safeties on his way to paydirt. Pierce has had his reps limited this spring for precautionary reasons, and it was obvious early that he is going to make the reps that he does get meaningful.

Isaiah Hodgins: By far and away, this was the best Hodgins has played in a Beaver uniform. Luton looked for him early and often as he started with the first team, and was a physical beast all over the field. Whether he was showing off the jets on a 48 yard touchdown and running away from Christian Wallace, or juking out defenders on a screen pass, Hodgins looked the part of a big time receiver today.

(Defense)

Jaydon Grant: The redshirt freshman cornerback had started to raise eyebrows around Corvallis over the past week or so with his play in the secondary. Well if you didn’t know about the son of former Portland TrailBlazer Brian Grant, you certainly do now. Grant played extremely well today with a team high two interceptions, and looked right at home in the secondary. Keep an eye on this kid, he is very intelligent on the football field and is very fast as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if he worked his way into the starting lineup opposite of Xavier Crawford.

Christian Wallace: Just like Hodgins, Wallace had his best day as a Beav. Wallace played fast, aggressive, and physical the entire scrimmage. His signature moment was making sure Trevon Bradford wasn’t going to catch a pass by absolutely laying him out. It was a clean hit, but Wallace brought the lumber. Wallace is still growing as a player, but he looked the part of an all-Pac-12 cornerback today.

Elu Aydon: Elu had a very solid day plugging up the middle as the nose tackle today. OSU mainly used two lineman again today, which meant Aydon was going to have to take on 2-3 offensive lineman. With the exception of Pierce’s huge run to open up the scoring, Aydon really led the charge on the D-Line by plugging up the running lanes.

Newsworthy Nuggets:

• Here is how the QB situation shook out today via drives: Luton- two drives and one red zone drive all with the first unit. Marcus McMaryion- two drives and one red zone drive with a mix of the 1’s and the 2’s. Darell Garretson- three drives and one red zone all with the 2’s. Conor Blount- two drives, all with the 2’s. Despite Garretson throwing 2 TD passes, I still think Luton was the star of the day. Garretson and McMaryion are fighting for that backup job in my opinion.

• OSU’s secondary really struggled with the post routes today, as Bodden and Hodgins torched them for two long TD’s. However, they did a very nice job in the second half of the scrimmage, shutting down the deep routes, and containing OSU’s screen plays.

• Speaking of the back end, the safeties really help their own after being burned early by Hodgins and Bodden. Omar Hicks-Onu and Jalen Moore played lockdown defense, and even came up and made some nice plays near the line of scrimmage. Starting safety Brandon Arnold did not take any reps in the scrimmage.

• Jaylynn Bailey still works really really hard. I’ve mentioned before that I’ve really liked his aggressiveness this spring, and today was no different. With Pierce and Ryan Nall on the sideline, he took full advantage of his reps, running hard every time.

• Xavier Hawkins looked really good offensively. The senior from Knoxville has struggled to carve out a niché in Corvallis since arriving, but he made several nice catches over the middle, and also looked really good on the fly sweep.

• OSU decided to give a lot of their playmakers limited reps today. Nall, Pierce, Arnold, Villamin, Hungalu, are some of the vets that didn’t play very many snaps today.

Due to the six video’s that we have today, I’m going to hold the quotable section out today. Check out all of the exclusive videos for quotes on today’s scrimmage.

Official Stats via OSU

Trevon Bradford had the most receptions with 6 for 48 yds while Isaiah Hodgins had 5 catches for 82 yds and Andre Bodden had 3 grabs for 78 yds.

58 plays

SCORING PLAYS

Artavis Pierce 70-yard rush

Andre Bodden 45-yard pass from Jake Luton

Trevon Bradford 8-yard pass from Darell Garretson

Isaiah Hodgins 48-yard pass from Luton

Jaylynn Bailey 4-yard rush

Marcus McMaryion 8-yard rush

Jaylynn Bailey 9-yard pass from Garretson

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

RUSHING (No-Yds-TD)

Jaylynn Bailey 5-17-1; Ryan Nall 6-32-0; Artavis Pierce 6-88-1; Kieran Yancy 10-29-0; Marcus McMaryion 1-8-1; Darell Garretson 1-11-0

PASSING (Att-Comp-Int-Yds-TD)

Jake Luton 14-10-1-151-2; Conor Blount 7-4-0-18-0; Marcus McMaryion 8-4-0-28-0 (2 dropped passes); Darell Garretson 11-8-1-115-2.

DEFENSE

INTERCEPTIONS

Jaydon Grant-2

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News