ADVERTISEMENT

*** Recruiting Chat - Recap ***

MikeSinger

BeaversEdge Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2013
It was great being back in the chat with my fellow B-Edgers. You can read the full chat in the link below and the nuggets are below as well.

Pop out link: http://www.coveritlive.com/index2.p...altcast_code=d98e21e4f9/width=1200/height=650

1. Hold your breath until National Signing Day for Jamire Calvin

I asked Jamire Calvin when he made up his mind to commit to Oregon State. He told me Friday - the day before he chose OSU on national TV at the Army Game. In the few messages I exchanged with Jamire and talking with sources about Calvin's recruitment, the consensus is that it's not over for Calvin. I think that Calvin ends up at Oregon State, but I have little confidence in it. My vibe here is that he committed to Arex Flemings and not Oregon State. The Beavs were totally out of it after Brennan left, but his relationship with Flemings put Oregon State back in the picture and obviously, OSU landed Calvin's commitment. I spoke with Calvin's high school head coach Kevin Pearson (article coming soon, it's going to be a great story), who said that he thought Nebraska would be Calvin's choice because of how close Calvin was with the staff there.

I don't want to say that Calvin regrets choosing Oregon State, because I don't think that's the case, but it already seems like Calvin is looking around. In fact, a source told me that Calvin has already had contact with Nebraska since the Army Game. Calvin wants to continue to be recruited by Nebraska.

Also, Calvin has a fifth official visit left. He's already took OV's to to OSU, WSU, Notre Dame, and Nebraska. It's thought that Calvin would take that fifth visit, but I just heard a few minutes ago that he is not going to take a fifth visit. I still think he might take on though, and my guess would be to Texas. We'll see.

2. Kyshaun Bryan might as well be uncommitted

Oregon State offered a South Carolina RB commit in Kyshaun Bryan from south Florida. Bryan is committed to the Gamecocks, but I was told that South Carolina is not even taking a running back in the 2017 class. I'd expect to see Bryan announce a decommitment in the near future. There has been a lot of Oregon State buzz here, and he will be officially visiting OSU next weekend, January 20. Also, he has a lot of big offers on his offer list, but most of them are not legit anymore. Either way, he's a good looking recruit and Oregon State wants a second running back. I think Bryan is the best option as that slot.

3. Weekend official visitors

DB commit Kaleb Hayes
OL commit Travis Mackay
WR commit Aaron Short
Safety target Trajon Cotton
ATH Bruce Judson

JuCo CB Vosean Crumbie was going to officially visit Oregon State this weekend, but he let me know yesterday that he's going to OV to Nevada this weekend and head to Corvallis for a visit next weekend.

Judson is one interesting guy. I was told that Judson already had his plane ticket for a Washington State official visit this weekend, and he told us this morning that the Wazzu visit was set. But now he's OV'ing to Oregon State this weekend... I have been following his recruitment for a long time, and it's been interesting to say the least. The young man is all over the place. He's committed to USF, but Oregon and Kentucky are on him... Judson mentioned in our article today that his high school coach is close with Lockette, and I've heard that they are indeed super close. Judson's high school coach has been around forever, and Lockette knew him during his time coaching in Florida.

Cotton's recruitment is interesting. I think with Jim Leavitt leaving Colorado for Oregon only gives the Ducks a better chance. I think it's a Civil War battle for Cotton at the end of the day.

4. Kaleb Hayes Update

I spoke earlier with Kaleb Hayes, and I wanted to post my thoughts about my conversation with him. I'll post the article probably on Wednesday too.

Hayes will be visiting OSU this weekend, and he told me that BYU is a school that has offered him. He has a visit set to BYU for next weekend, but I got a strong vibe from him that BYU's policies won't be a good fit for Hayes. He is not mormon, and it just probably won't be the right fit....New Mexico is recruiting Hayes at QB, but I don't expect anything to come out of it.

Hayes is not on Twitter and keeps his recruitment low key, but don't forget about this young man. I think he's going to be an impact player at Oregon State.

5. Vibe on Charles Watson

I heard from a source on the BYU side of things that said Oregon State is the favorite to land Watson. Like with Hayes, I'm told that Watson might not be on board with BYU's "honor code." If it was just about football, then I think he picks BYU.

Watson is good friends with a number of OSU commits, mainly Isaiah Hodgins, and Watson is actually of Samoan descent. There are more factors in OSU's favor than I originally thought. I didn't think OSU would make Watson's top two a couple of days ago, but now, I think OSU lands Watson.

6. Quick Nuggets

- I confirmed that Oregon State is currently not recruiting the following JuCo OL: Isiah Moore, Joey Palmer, Jason Linden, Matthew Tanner...

- George Moore and new OSU commit Aaron Short were very close during their time together at San Mateo. They played their freshman years there together, but then Short transferred to a different JuCo. Short has been talking to Moore about coming to Oregon State with him.

- Landing Aaron Short gave Oregon State 7 WR commits, and I'm told by a well placed source that the Beavs will not be recruiting Texas WR Reggie Roberson any longer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News